“Hospitals are the most complex organizations that human have devised” , Peter Drucker.
The first rule : Hospitals are built “for doctors, nurses & technicians” who work there to treat their customers “the patients and the attendants”.
Complexity : There are too many people taking decisions and every doctor and nurse is a separate decision center.They do not follow any system of hierarchy and the system exist with others following them.
- Timely communication is the key.
- Hospital communication is not necessarily dependent on hospital resources.
- Departments and its interdependence
- Infection control – Clean and dirty flow
- Controlled environment : Different temperature zones in “one” room.
- Patient services are not straightforward. There are multiple exits.
- Provisioning of patient care services on bed for e.g no. of elctrical points per bed.
- Many people are involved in patient care and hence several restriction points.
- Integration of technology with live processes.